Better News

Friday, July 20, 2007 at 9:34 PM
Reading back over my last post, it is hard to believe I was ever in such a sorry emotional state. Life has truly taken a turn for the better.

My mother's situation is by far the best blessing my family and I have experienced this month. The tests they ran on the lump that they removed from her breast a month ago were all best case scenario for her. They got all of the malignancy and she will not have to have chemotherapy. She will have to do seven weeks of radiation therapy and will be on hormone inhibitors for a very long time to ensure that the cancer does not come back. But that's OK. Taking a few pills every day is nothing compared to what millions of cancer patients face each day.

I have a new-found appreciation for the plight of people suffering from terminal illness, specifically cancers. I've especially cleared out a space in my heart for their loved ones who have to face the certainty that their heart will been torn in two in due time when their friend, wife, lover, mother, father, brother or sister passes from this world. It is my fervent hope that I will be able to help these people in some small way. I'm not sure how yet, but when the idea hits me, I'll know it.

As for mom, I think she has a new lease on life and she realizes that she is a much stronger person than she ever thought she was. I am truly proud of her quiet strength and faith in God throughout this entire ordeal. Mom has always been my hero, but now, she's legend.

0 comments