Gorgonzola Stuffed, Bacon Wrapped Medjool Dates with Balsamic Glaze

Thursday, April 30, 2009 at 8:00 AM


I'm a city girl. The smallest community have ever been a part of is Dallas, TX. So you can imagine that I was fearful of the change when I moved to the very small town of Bentonville, Arkansas.

Because it is the home of Wal-Mart and many business people travel in and out each day, Bentonville is a unique community, merging the best of big city life and small town culture. With a population of around 35,000 people the city boasts a surprisingly wide range of dining experiences including at least, to my count, five Thai restaurants, two sushi joints and bona fide Indian takeaway.

In Bentonville Square, one of the newer restaurants is Table Mesa, offering an eclectic menu bounded loosely under the description of Latin. They will make a point to tell you that theirs is not a Mexican restaurant, though they do offer Mexican fare, from tacos to chili rellanos. They also offer a wonderful tapas section as well as Cuban, Spanish and South American fare. Fresh, well-seasoned and delicious, you would be hard-pressed to find something on the menu that lacks authenticity or flavor.

Nothing, however, compares to their margaritas (sweetened with agave juice) and an unassuming tapas dish aptly named the Cheap Date. The Cheap Date was recommended to us by our hostess, who assured us that we would love it, though, at the time, it sounded dubious, especially considering that I have never been a fan of dates. Boy was I wrong. A perfect combination of flavors and textures, this dish is addictive. The salty and smoky flavor of the bacon blends perfectly with the earthy sweetness of the dates and the creamy bite of the Gorgonzola cheese. Pure bliss.

So addicted am I and my little group of friends, that I created my own version of the Cheap Date at home and have been told that it is even better than what is served in the restaurant. Of course, these people are my friends, so I would not put it past them to lie about it. So I put it to you: Try this recipe at home and let me know what you think. As usual, I am not so much about the measure spoons and cups and with this recipe, you really don't have to be. Enjoy!

Gorgonzola Stuffed, Bacon wrapped Medjool Dates with Balsamic Glaze.



Speaking of Balsamic Glaze, you can make you own by reducing Balsamic Vinegar with a bit of sugar and a little butter, but if you can get a hold of a bottle of Blaze Balsamic Glaze (seen here at Amazon.com and apparently also available to purchase at Costco) you will be doing yourself a huge favor. Good Stuff!

8 Jumbo Medjool dates (I bought mine at Costco but if they are not available to purchase in your local area, they are readily available for purchase online)
8 slices of bacon
Brown Sugar
Balsamic Glaze
Cream Cheese (whipped works best)
Gorgonzola Cheese (I prefer BelGioioso brand)

In a medium-sized skillet, begin cooking the bacon over medium heat, turning every couple of minutes until the edges begin to curl. Sprinkle brown sugar on one side of the bacon, then turn the slices over and drizzle a very small bit of glaze on the other side of the bacon. Be very careful not to overcook the bacon. Be sure to turn the bacon over and cook the glaze into the bacon a bit. When done, the bacon should be not quite finished cooking and still pliable. If it is cooked too much, it will break when you try to wrap the dates.

In the meantime, place the dates in a microwave safe container with a tablespoon of water. Cover and heat in the microwave on high for about 20 seconds. This softens the dates slightly and makes the pits easier to remove.

Gently remove the pits, trying not to tear the flesh of the dates too much. Stuff a pea sized portion of cream cheese in the bottom of each date, then stuff with the Gorgonzola cheese to about 3/4 of the way full. Add another small dollop of cream cheese to the end of the date.

Carefully wrap each date with one slice of bacon, being careful not to burn yourself or break the bacon. The natural stickiness of the brown sugar and balsamic glaze will keep you from having to use tooth picks or anything else to secure the bacon to the date.

Gently wipe the skillet to remove most of the bacon grease and remnants, but leave a very small amount of grease in the pan. It should not pool in the bottom of the pan, but instead lightly coat the surface.

Place the dates in the skillet over medium heat with a teaspoon of water. Quickly place a lid on the pan and let cook for about a minute. Turn the dates and cook with the lid on again for another thirty seconds to one minute.

Remove, drizzle with a little bit of the balsamic glaze and serve while still warm.

Yields 8 dates - appetizers for four people

2 comments

  1. Camille Says:

    You speak my language.

    I can't wait to try your recipe---didn't consider pre-cooking the bacon a bit (?!). I always burn the dates while trying to crisp the bacon, which also leads to the cheese escaping all over the pan. Never again! Have you tried stuffing them with almonds? I haven't, but know that's standard, too. I like the cream cheese/brown sugar combo, though...

    You are after my heart, Christine.

  2. Mandy Says:

    I too would never have thought to par-cook the bacon. I've made lots of things that are bacon wrapped and I hate that the bacon doesn't crisp up when baked...but if I pre-cook them, I think that will solve all my problems. great post!