2nd Movie Review - July 4th Weekend

Sunday, July 6, 2008 at 7:20 PM

Across the Universe - starring Rachel Evan Wood, Jim Sturgess, etc.

I have to admit it -I am a huge fan of the Beatles. One of my first memories as a child was my father playing the guitar and singing "If I Fell". From that time on, the Beatles music became the soundtrack of my youth. So when I heard that a movie made been made featuring Beatles music, I was thrilled! Then I got sidetracked and never made it to the theater to see the movie. Then it came out on DVD and I forgot about it. So when I went to my local Blockbuster this weekend and saw this title, I snagged it.

I wasn't dissappointed. Filled with emotional snapshots of the late sixties focused on the war in Vietnam and the social upheaval as a result here in the USA, this film was a feast for the emotions: joy, wonder, awe, sadness, anger, frustration and love, this film envokes it all.

Cleverly thrown in are characters that mirror some of the biggest names in music in the 1960's - Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and more.

Also featured was Eddie Izzard, who is quite possibly one of my favorite celeb personalities.

I may be one of a few since I didn't hear a lot about this movie when it came out, but I loved it and will most likely see it over and over. 4.25 winks.

0 comments